Get The Facts:
Imagine yourself in a wide-open field, seeking food, water, and a place to rest. Imagine having the freedom to roam as your nature and instinct guide. Imagine living in a complex family and community structure, free from human interference and exploitation. This is the life wild animals need, but that captivity denies them.
Through a national effort of passing legislation to prohibit the possession and use of captive wild animals for entertainment, helping to enforce current laws, and a concerted public education campaign, we can stop the surplus trade and one day have wild animals where they belong — in the wild!
Nicole Paquette, J.D., Vermont Law School, is General Counsel for the Animal Protection Institute
- William M Johnson, The Rose-Tinted Menagerie: A History of Animals in Entertainment, from Ancient Rome to the 20th Century (2002).
- David Hancocks, A Different Nature: The Paradoxical World of Zoos and Their Uncertain Future (2001).
- Laws Relating to Exotic Animal Auctions.
- 7 USC Section 2131 et seq.; 9 CFR §2.1 et seq.; Policy #5 - Exotic Animal Auctions under the Animal Welfare Act.
- Summary of State Laws Relating to Breeding Wild and/or Exotic Animals.
- 7 USC § 2131-2156 (1996 and as amended, 1970, 1976, 1985. 1990, and 2002).
- Centers For Disease Control.
- Team Tulsa News.
- Exhibited Animal Incidents.
- 7 USC § 2131-2156 (1969 and as amended, 1970, 1976, 1985, 1990, and 2002).
- 9 CFR §3.1 et seq.
- 27 U.S.T. 1087 (Mar. 3, 1973).
- Resolution Conf. 5.10.
- 50 CFR § 23.15(d).
- 16 USC § 1538 et seq.
- 50 CFR § 17.22.
- 50 CFT § 17.21 (g).
- 16 USC § 701; 16 USC §§ 3371-3378.
- Detroit Free Press.
- See Appendix 2.
- FLA. STAT. ANN. 372-921 and FLA. ADMIN. CODE ANN r. 68A-6.0023.
- IND. ADMIN. CODE tit 312, r. 9-10-20 and r. 9-11-14.
- Ordinances Regulating Private Possession of Exotic Animals.
- Local Restrictions Governing Traveling Shows and Circuses in the U.S. and Canada.
- Cal. Fish & Game Code §2020(c).
- See Cal. Fish & Game Code §2150.4.
- See Cal. Fish & Game Code § 2150.3 (a).
- See CAL. CODE REGS. Tit. 14, §§671 et al.
- CAL. CODE REGS. Tit. 14, §671.1(c)(6)(B).