State Pet Shop Laws: Mississippi
- Bird: defined by implication below.
- Bird dealer: anyone in the business of dealing in, purchasing, breeding or offering for sale any exotic or pet birds or birds customarily kept as pets. Includes wholesale and retail. Excludes ratites. (MISS. STAT. ANN. § 75-40-103)
Food and Water:
- Department of Agriculture administers the licensing of exotic bird dealers. (MISS. STAT. ANN. § 69-1-203)
- Bird dealers must keep records for 1 year of all birds possessed or sold, all ill or dead birds, and the chain of ownership of the birds. (Penalty: license revocation) (MISS. STAT. ANN. § 75-40-109)
- Where “adequate space” is not defined the state has not established a definition for the term.
- The definition of “animal” may actually be broadly written while the types of animals covered by the law (e.g., veterinary care, sanitation, food and water) may be more narrowly drafted.