State Pet Shop Laws: Hawaii
- Pet animal: a dog, cat, rabbit, guinea pig, domestic rat or mouse, or caged bird (passeriformes, piciformes and psittaciformes only). (HAW. REV. STAT. § 711-1100)
Food and Water:
- Prohibits anyone from depriving a pet animal of “necessary sustenance.” (Penalty: misdemeanor) (HAW. REV. STAT. § 711-1109)
- Retail pet store license not required.
- Where “adequate space” is not defined the state has not established a definition for the term.
- The definition of “animal” may actually be broadly written while the types of animals covered by the law (e.g., veterinary care, sanitation, food and water) may be more narrowly drafted.